The ancient classic Laghu Parashari, whose authorship is not known, is a brief but important one dealing with the application of the Vimsottari Dasa dasa system in 42 verses divided into five chapters.
Chapter 1 Samajna Adhyaya
1. We pray to Goddess Sarasvati who has red lips, who holds Veens (a musical instrument) in her hand; she is the real strength of Lord Brahma who is so greatly spoken of in the Upanishads.
2. For the enlightenment of the learned astrologers, I compose this Udu-daya-Pradeep on the basis of Parashara Hora-Shastra.
3. We will include the Astrological results (good or bad) of the Nakshatra Dasha Paddhati as shown in Vimshottari System; and do not believe in Ashtottari System.
4. The learned should make themselves familiar with the fundamentals of Astrology through other works. Here only the specific principles will be explained.
5. All the planets (beginning with the Sun) aspect the planets in the
7th House with a full sight; but Saturn aspects those in the 3rd and 10th Houses with extra ordinary Drishti, so does Jupiter aspect them in the 5th and the 9th, and Mars in the 4th and the 8th Houses with a full sight.
6. All the planets owning Trines, i.e. the 1st, 5th and 9th Houses by signs produce uniformly good results, whether they are benefics or malefics. If they own the Trick houses, i.e. the 3rd, 6th and 11th houses by signs, they are always disposed towards evil.
7. It is commonly believed that benefics (Jupiter, Venus, strong Moon and well associated Mercury) when they own Angles by sing i.e. 4th, 7th and 10th houses they give good results; but as per Laghu Parashari this will not be true unless they are lords of the Trines also simultaneously. The same way, according to the popular belief, the malefics (the Sun, Mars, Saturn debilitated or waning Moon and ill-associated Mercury) give evil results; but according to Laghu Parashari if they do not own Trishdai (3-6-11) houses, they do not give evil results and become progressively more and more powerful as lords of the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th houses.
8. Lords of the 2nd and 12th houses are powerful not because of their own merit; they are greatly influenced in giving good or bad results by their association or position in the chart.
9. Lord of the 8th house (Randhresh) by virtue of being the 12th (Vyayesh) from the 9th (Bhagyesha) does not produce good results; but if he happens to be the lord of the Ascendant/Ascendant and occupies the 1st or the 8th house, he becomes benefic.
10. Amongst benefics the evil nature of Jupiter and Venus when they are lords of the Angles is extraordinary. If they own or occupy the Maraka sthana as lords of the Angles they become powerful killers.
11. Mercury has less of this evil nature as compared to Venus; the Moon has much less than that of Mercury. The same way the Sun and the Moon are not evil being Asthmesh (lord of the 8th).
12. (In Cancer nativity) Mars, a malefic, gives good results not being the lord of the 10th house only bu by being the lord of a Trine house (5th) also.
13. Rahu and Ketu in spite of being in dignity, give good or bad results according to their position or association.
This brings to the end of Samajna Adhyaya.
Chapter 2 Yoga Adhyaya
14. When there exist mutual aspect and reception between the lords of angles and Trines and their second sign does not fall in any other house than Angles and Trines, they give extra ordinarily good Yoga Karaka results.
15. Lords of the powerful Trine and Angle, i.e. the 10th and the 9th houses, in spite of being lords of trik houses by their other signs, if have mutual aspect, reception or association, give good results.
16. The first of these relationship is considered superior to the 2nd which in turn is superior to that of the 3rd.
17. This gives rise to one doubt, whether the effects in all the Angular – Trinals will be the same or in any way varied. This point has been clarified in the succeeding Shloka.
18. Amongst the Trines, the 5th and the 9th houses are considered powerful and if, with the lord of either of these, the powerful lord of the angle, the 10th house, has relationship, then such a Yoga becomes most effective.
19. Now benefics give auspicious results even without any relationship during their Dasha. Whether the malefic will be instrumental in giving the Yogaphal even when they are related? Its answer is given in the succeeding Shloka.
20. If the same planet happens to own the Angle and Trine the results are propitious. If it has relationship with the Lord of any other Trine, the effect will be most auspicious.
21. If Rahu or Ketu occupying an Angle or Trine has relationship with the Lord of any other Angle or Trine, the Yoga will be effective.
22. If the Lords of the 9th and 10th houses are also respectively Lords of the 8th and the 11th, their relationship is not conductive to any Yoga.
This brings to the end of Yoga Adhyaya.