Ch. 11. Judgment of Houses
1. O Mahārśi Parashara, I have come to know of the evils and antidotes thereof from you. Please tell me, what is to be deduced from each House.
2. Indications of 1st House. Mahārśi Parashara replies. Physique, appearance, intellect (or the organ of intelligence, i.e. brain), complexion of the body, vigor, weakness, happiness, grief and innate nature are all to be guessed through the ascending Rāśi.
3. Indications of 2nd House. Wealth, grains (food etc.), family, death, enemies, metals, precious stones etc. are to be understood through 2nd House.
4. Indications of 3rd House. From 3rd House know of the following: valor, servants (attending etc.), brothers, sisters etc., initiatory instructions (Upadesha), journey and parents death.
5. Indications of 4th House. Conveyances, relatives, mother, happiness, treasure, lands and buildings are to be consulted through 4th House.
6. Indications of 5th House. The learned should deduce from 5th House amulets, sacred spells, learning, knowledge, sons, royalty (or authority), fall of position etc.
7. Indications of 6th House. Maternal uncle, doubts about death, enemies, ulcers, step-mother etc. are to be estimated from 6th House.
8. Indications of 7th House. Wife, travel, trade, loss of sight, death etc. be known from 7th House.
9. Indications of 8th House. 8th House indicates longevity, battle, enemies, forts, wealth of the dead and things, that have happened and are to happen (in the past and future births).
10. Indications of 9th House. Fortunes, wife’s brother, religion, brothers wife, visits to shrines etc. be known from 9th House.
11. Indications of 10th House. Royalty (authority), place, profession (livelihood), honour, father, living in foreign lands and debts are to be understood from 10th House.
12. Indications of 11th House. All articles, sons wife, income, prosperity, quadrupeds etc. are to be understood from 11th House.
13. Indications of 12th House. From 12th House, one can know about expenses, history of enemies, ones own death etc.
14-16. Prosperity, or Annihilation of a House. Predict prosperity of the House, which is conjunct with, or aspected by a benefic. Also, when its Lord is in Yuvavastha, or Prabuddhavastha, or in Kismaravastha, or in 10th House, the Houses well-being is indicated. The House, which is not aspected by its Lord, or, whose Lord is with a malefic Planet, or with one of the Lords of evil and such other Houses (i.e. 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th and 12th), or is defeated in a war between Planets, or is in one of the three Avasthas, viz, Vriddhavastha, Mritavastha and Suptavastha.
Ch. 12. Effects of 1st House
1-2. Physical comforts. Should Lagna Lord be conjunct with a malefic, or be in 8th, 6th, or 12th, physical felicity will diminish. If he is in an angle, or trine there will be at all times comforts of the body. If Lagna Lord is in debilitation, combustion, or enemy Rāśi, there will be diseases. With a benefic in an angle, or trine all diseases will disappear. Lagnas angles (i.e. 4th, 7th, or the 10th), or its trine (5th, 9th), containing a benefic, is a powerful remedy for all, related to health.
3. There will not be bodily health, if Lagna, or Moon be aspected by, or conjunct with a malefic, being devoid of a benefics Aspect.
4. Bodily Beauty. A benefic in Lagna will give a pleasing appearance, while a malefic will make one bereft of good appearance. Felicity of the body will be enjoyed, if Lagna is aspected by, or conjunct with a benefic.
5-7. Other Benefits. If Lagna Lord, Mercury, Jupiter, or Venus be in an angle, or in a trine, the native will be long lived, wealthy, intelligent and liked by the king. Fame, wealth, abundant pleasures and comforts of the body will be acquired, if Lagna Lord is in a Movable Rāśi and be aspected by a benefic Planet. One will be endowed with royal marks (of fortune), if Mercury, Jupiter, or Venus be in Lagna along with the Moon, or be in angle from Lagna. If Mercury, Jupiter, or Venus be in 4th, 7th, or 10th from Lagna, or be in the company of Moon in Lagna, the native will enjoy royal fortunes.
8. Coiled Birth. If there be a birth in one of Aries, Taurus and Leo Lagnas, containing either Saturn, or Mars, the birth of the child is with a coil around a limb. The corresponding limb will be in accordance with the Rāśi, or Navāmśa, rising.
9. Birth of Twins. The native, who has Sun in a quadruped Rāśi, while others are in Dual Rāśis with strength, is born, as one of the twins.
10. To Be Nurtured by Three Mothers. If Sun and Moon join in one and the same House and fall in one Navāmśa, the native will be nurtured by three different mothers for the first three months from its birth and will later on be brought up by its father and brother.
11. Important. The learned in Jyotishya should base the effects on Moon also, as are applicable to Lagna. Now explained are clues to know of ulcers, identity marks etc. on ones person.
12-14. Decanates and Bodily Limbs. Head, eyes, ears, nose, temple, chin and face is the order of limbs, denoted (by the v6thous Houses), when the first decanate of a Rāśi ascends. In the case of the second decanate ascending the order is neck, shoulder, arm, side, heart, stomach and navel. The order for the third decanate ascending is pelvis, anus/penis, testicles, thigh, knee, calf and foot. The portion already risen indicates left side of the body (while the one yet to rise, i.e. the invisible half, denotes the right side of the body).
15. Limbs Affected. The limb, related to a malefic by occupation, will have ulcers, or scars, while the one, related to a benefic, will have a mark (like moles etc).
Also see Sloka 6, Ch. 4 of Saravali, which states, that a malefic, or a benefic, if be in own Rāśi, or Navāmśa, the effects will be right from birth. In other cases it will be in the course of ones life, that these effects will come to pass)
Ch. 13. Effects of 2nd House
1-2. Combinations for Wealth. O excellent of the Brahmins, listen to me, speaking on the effects of 2nd House. If the Lord of 2nd is in 2nd, or is in an angle, or in trine, he will promote ones wealth (or monetary state). Should he be in 6th/8th/12th, financial conditions will decline. A benefic in 2nd will give wealth, while a malefic instead will destroy wealth.
3. One will be wealthy, if Jupiter is in 2nd, as the Lord of 2nd, or is with Mars.
4. If 2nd Lord is in 11th, while the Lord of 11th in 2nd, wealth will be acquired by the native. Alternately these two Lords may join in an angle, or in a trine.
5. If the Lord of 2nd is in an angle, while 11th Lord is in a trine thereof, or is aspected by, or conjunct with Jupiter and Venus, the subject will be wealthy.
6-7. Yogas for Poverty. One will be penniless, if the Lord of 2nd House is in an evil House, while the Lord of 11th House is also so placed and 2nd House is occupied by a malefic. There will be penury right from birth and the native will have to beg even for his food, if the Lords of 2nd and 11th House are both combust, or with malefics.
8. Loss of Wealth through the King. Should the Lords of 2nd and 11th House be relegated to 6th, 8th, or 12th House, while Mars is in 11th House and Rahu is in 2nd House, the native will lose his wealth on account of royal punishments.
9. Expenses on Good Accounts. When Jupiter is in 11th, Venus is in 2nd and a benefic is placed in 12th House, while 2nds Lord is conjunct with a benefic, there will be expenses on religious, or ch6thtable grounds.
10. Fame etc. If 2nds Lord is in own Rāśi, or is exalted, the native will look after his people, will help others and also will become famous.11. Effortless Aquisition. If 2nds Lord is conjunct with a benefic and is in a good division, like Paravatāńś, there will be effortlessly all kinds of wealth in the natives family. (Paravatāńśdau of the text denotes Paravat, or such other higher Vargaas: 2nds Lord should be in Paravatāńś, or in Devalokāńśa, Brahmalokāńśa, Sakravahanāńś, or Sridhamāńś in the Dash Varga scheme)
12. Eyes. If 2nd Lord is endowed with strength, the native will possess beautiful eyes. Should the said Planet be in 6th, 8th, or 12th House, there will be disease, or deformity of eyes.
13. Untruthful Person. If 2nd House and its Lord are conjunct with malefics, the native will be a talebearer, will speak untruth and will be afflicted by windy diseases.