Introduction and index
DECADE I Indra
1. Let Soma juices make thee glad! Display thy bounty, Thunderer:
Drive off the enemies of prayer!
2. Drink our libation, Lord of hymns! with streams of meath thou art bedewed:
Yea, Indra, glory is thy gift.
3. Indra hath ever thought of you and tended you with care. The God,
Heroic Indra, is not checked.
4. Let the drops pass within thee as the rivers flow into the sea
O Indra, naught excelleth thee!
5. Indra, the singers with high praise, Indra reciters with their lauds,
Indra the choirs have glorified.
6. May Indra give, to aid us wealth handy that rules the skilful ones!
Yea, may the Strong give potent wealth
7. Verily Indra, conquering all, drives even mighty fear away,
For firm is he and swift to act.
8. These songs with every draught we pour come, lover of the song, to thee
As milch-kine hasten to their calves.
9. Indra and Wishan will we call for friendship and prosperity,
And for the winning of the spoil.
10. O Indra, Vritra-slayer, naught is better, mightier than thou
Verily there is none like thee!
DECADE II Indra
1. Him have I magnified, our Lord in common, guardian of your folk,
Discloser of great wealth in kine.
2. Songs have outpoured themselves to thee, Indra, the strong, the guardian Lord,
And with one will have risen to thee!
3. Good guidance hath the mortal man whom Arya-man, the Marut host,
And Mitras, void of guile, protect.
4. Bring us the wealth for which we long, O Indra, that which is concealed
In strong firm place precipitous.
5. Him your best Vritra-slayer, him the famous champion of mankind
I urge to great munificence.
6. Indra, may we adorn thy fame, fame of one like thee, hero! deck,
Sakra! thy fame at highest feast!
7. Indra, accept at break of day our Soma mixt with roasted corn,
With groats, with cake, with eulogies!
8. With waters’ foam thou torest off, Indra, the head of Namuchi,
When thou o’ercamest all the foes.
9. Thine are these Soma juices, thine, Indra, those still to be expressed:
Enjoy them, Lord of princely wealth!
10. For thee, O Indra, Lord of light, Somas are pressed and grass is strewn:
Be gracious to thy worshippers!
1. We seeking strength, with Soma drops fill full your Indra like a well,
Most liberal, Lord of boundless might.
2. O Indra, even from that place come unto us with food that gives
A hundred, yea, a thousand powers!
3. The new-born Vritra-slayer asked his mother, as he seized his shaft,
Who are the, fierce and famous ones?
4. Let us call him to aid whose hands stretch far, the highly-lauded, who
Fulfils the work to favour us
5. Mitra who knoweth leadeth us, and Varuna who guideth straight,
And Aryaman in accord with Gods.
6. When, even as she were present here, red Dawn hath shone from far away,
She spreadeth light on every side.
7. Varuna, Mitra, sapient pair, pour fatness on our pastures, pour
Meath on the regions of the air!
8. And, at our sacrifices, these, sons, singers, have enlarged their bounds,
So that the cows must walk knee-deep.
9. Through all this world strode Vishnu: thrice his foot he planted, and the whole
Was gathered in his footstep’s dust.
DECADE IV Indra
1. Pass by the wrathful offerer; speed the man who pours libation, drink
The juice which he presents to thee!
2. What is the word addressed to him, God great and excellently wise?
For this is what exalteth him.
3, His wealth who hath no store of kine hath ne’er found out recited laud,
Nor song of praises that is sung.
4. Lord of each thing that giveth strength, Indra delighteth most in lauds,
Borne by bay steeds, libations’ friend.
5. With wealth to our libation come, be not thou angry with us, like
A great man with a youthful bride.
6. When, Vasu, wilt thou love the laud? Now let the Channel bring the stream.
The juice is ready to ferment.
7. After the Seasons. Indra, drink the Soma from the Brahman’s gift:
Thy friendship is invincible!
8. O Indra, lover of the song, we are the singers of thy praise
O Soma-drinker, quicken us!
9. O Indra, in each fight and fray give to our bodies manly strength:
Strong Lord, grant ever-conquering might!
10. For so thou art the brave man’s friend; a hero, too, art thou, and strong:
So may thine heart be won to us!
DECADE V Indra
1. Like kine unmilked we call aloud, hero, to thee, and sing thy praise,
Looker on heavenly light, Lord of this moving world, Lord, Indra, of what moveth not!
2. That we may win us wealth and power we poets, verily, call on thee:
In war men call on thee, Indra, the hero’s Lord, in the steed’s race-course call on thee:
3. To you will I sing Indra’s praise who gives good gifts as well we know;
The praise of Maghavan who, rich in treasure, aids his singers with wealth thousandfold.
4. As cows low to their calves in stalls, so with our songs we glorify
This Indra, even your wondrous God who checks attack, who takes delight in precious juice.
5. Loud singing at the sacred rite where Soma flows we priests invoke
With haste, that he may help, as the bard’s cherisher, Indra who findeth wealth for you
6. With Plenty for his true ally the active man will gain the spoil.
Your Indra, much-invoked, I bend with song, as bends a wright his wheel of solid wood.
7. Drink, Indra, of the savoury juice, and cheer thee with our milky draught!
Be, for our weal, our friend and sharer of the feast, and let thy wisdom guard us well!
8. For thou–come to the worshipper!–wilt find great wealth to make us rich.
Fill thyself full, O Maghavan, for gain of kine, full, Indra, for the gain of steeds!
9. Vasishtha will not overlook the lowliest one among you all
Beside our Soma juice effused to-day let all the Maruts drink with eager haste!
10. Glorify naught besides, O friends; so shall no sorrow trouble you!
Praise only mighty Indra when the juice is shed, and say your lauds repeatedly!