THE THIRD LIGHT (Chapter Three) 3
Wherein the Glory of Lord Shiva is proclaimed Om is the Eternal Sound Supreme. Of that all other sounds are born. Lord Shiva said:
1. I shall now make known to you the Greatness of the Highest God from Whom everything emanates. Attend and listen to My Word, O you who are keen Seers of Spirit!
2. Men cannot realise Me by means of religious observances nor by means of charitable gifts nor by means of sacrifices. Without ardent and complete devotion I cannot be known.
3. Verily, I say unto you, I abide within all living beings, everywhere. But except the leading Sages, people know Me not, the Cosmic Witness.
4. I am the Creator and Dispenser of Destiny, the Lord of Time, the Fiery God facing all directions. The whole Universe exists in Me and I, the Supreme Deity, exist in the heart of all.
5. Neither the inhabitants of this World nor those of the Otherworld, nor the Demigods in the lower heavens truly see Me.
6. Though the Scriptures perpetually praise Me as the One Supreme Lord (Parameshvara) and the holy priests worship Me with various kinds of rituals and sacrifices, I am seen by no one save the Yogis who meditate upon Me as the Self-Luminous Lord of the Entire Creation, ever abiding within their own hearts.
7. Everything is immersed in Me and I am the Soul of all. Assuming the form of all the various Gods, I receive all sacrificial offerings and dispense the appropriate rewards.
8. Pious and learned men, who are well-versed in the Sacred Lore, see Me here itself. For, I am ever present near those who worship Me with devotion. Whether of noble or lowly birth, all men who observe their duties and worship Me with devotion are rewarded by Me with that Supreme Abode which is but the Bliss of the Self Divine.
9. Even those who formerly followed evil ways but have found and entered upon My Path, are liberated in due course and attain Unity with Me. I am Compassionate and Just and the Saviour of all.
10. At the beginning of the Universe, I created the Radiant Ones (Gods) and handed over to them the Scriptures (Agama) that came out of Myself. Therefore he who teaches the True Scriptures spreads abroad My Truth.
11. I alone am the Eternal Teacher (Sat-Guru) of all Yogis. I am the Protector of the virtuous and the Destroyer of those who transgress My Divine Law.
12. I am both the cause of worldly existence and the Liberator of Yogis from all worldly bondage. Yet I abide beyond all worldly ties.
13. I Alone am the Creator, Protector and Destroyer of the Universe. Maya, by which I enchant the Worlds, is My Own Power.
14. What is known as Higher Knowledge (Vidya) is My Own Transcendental Power whereby, stationed in the heart of Yogis, I unravel the Veil of Maya.
15. I am the Originator, Supporter and Restrainer of all powers. I am the Storehouse of Immortality and the Fountain-Head of all Glory.
16. O noble ones who have resorted to the Supreme Path of Yoga! it is through My Divine Powers that I govern this Universe. My Own Power of Creation, which inheres in all and is identical with Me, assumes the function of Divine Creator, and fashions this Material World full of variety and diversity. Thus, in My Function of Creator I am called Brahma (He Who Creates and Makes Grow).
17. My other Great Power, that of Preservation, becomes the Divine Preserver who pervades and preserves the World. Hence, in My Function of Preserver I am known as Vishnu (He Who Pervades and Preserves).
18. The third Great Power of Mine is the Power of Time whereby I consume and dissolve the entire Universe. Therefore, in My Function of Destroyer, the wise ones know me as Rudra, the Fiery One.
19. O holy ones! as rays from the blazing Sun, as sound from a musical instrument, as pulses from a beating heart, even so the Material World notwithstanding its appearance of permanence is emitted by Me, the Lord, every moment anew.
20. As a painting is made of thousands of brush-strokes of colour, just so My Creation is made of innumerable pulses of Creative Intelligence (Chit Shakti).
21. Thus the Cycle of Creation, Maintenance and Dissolution takes place in waves constantly arising, culminating and subsiding, upon the Shining Mirror of My Eternal Self. I, the Supreme Lord, by the Power of Unity (Yoga Bala) unite all into a whole continuum.
22. As a River, at once ever-the-same according to its long-established banks and ever-new according to the water that freshly runs along its course, so the Stream of Creation though initiated millions of years ago yet is projected every moment anew by Myself.
23. He who knows this, with concentrated mind, enters My World of Uncreated Light by the secret gateway between two moments and goes to Everlasting Life. Verily, the present moment is the Door to Eternity and the Ford for crossing the River of Time. It is the only appropriate Time for Souls to meet Me, their Creator.
24. Some realise Me through Meditation (Dhyana), others through the Path of Spiritual Knowledge (Jnana), others through the Path of Devotion (Bhakti) and still others through the Path of Righteous Action (Dharma).
25. Among the devotees, he who constantly pleases Me through Spiritual Knowledge, is the most dear to Me. For, without Spiritual Knowledge neither right Meditation, nor Devotion, nor yet Righteous Action are possible.
26. By acquiring Spiritual Knowledge, pure Souls become devoted to Me. By being devoted to Me either in My Manifested Form or My Formless Transcendental Self, they attain to Me, the Supreme Truth. Having realised Truth, they fall no more under the spell of worldly existence.
27. For, this entire Universe consisting of Matter and Spirit is pervaded by Me, it exists in Me and I alone am its Ruler.
28. Verily, O noble ones! I rule the Universe through My Highest Power of Yoga (Yoga Bala). He who realises That, becomes immortal.
29. I observe this entire Universe as if existing of itself. I too, as Lord of Eternity and Master of great Yogis, Create, Maintain and Destroy it at the end of Time.
30. It is I Whom the wise ones in the Scriptures speak of as Yogi and Master of the Cosmic Magic: He, the Master of Yogis (Yogendra), the Great Lord of the Great Yoga Himself.
31. Verily, he who knows Me to be the Overlord of all Yoga Masters is united with Me through the sure Path of Yoga.
32. Such am I, the Divine Sovereign. Moved by the Highest Bliss, I, the Yogi, eternally dance the Cosmic Dance (i.e. continuously Enact the Cosmic Play of Creation, Maintenance and Dissolution). He who knows this, is a true Knower of Yoga (Yoga-Vid).
33. I, Lord Shiva, the Mighty One and the Most Good, am the Highest Truth. The Soul, having sprung from My Person, finally returns to Me. Whether this comes to pass in one lifetime or in many, depends upon My Will. Yoga is the Path by the following whereof Soul is reunited with Me. Verily Yoga is the Path, the Goal and the Guiding Light.
34. The Light of Truth that heralds the Nearing of the One even as Dawn heralds the rising of the self-shining Sun, is called by two names. When received outwardly, it is known as Revelation (Prakashana). When received inwardly, it is called Inward Illumination (Pratibha).
35. He who having received My Revelation follows the Inward Light, shall forsake all obscuration and join himself to what is Bright. Thus he shall attain Salvation in this very life. Therefore, follow you My Path of Light.
36. There is no other Revelation like Mine. This secret-most knowledge is the Supreme Teaching enshrined in the True Scriptures which are known to the wise. Let it be imparted to one with a pure mind, to one who is virtuous and to one who is a keeper of the sacred flame.
THE FOURTH LIGHT (Chapter Four)
Wherein the Sages’ Vision of Lord Shiva’s Cosmic Dance and their Ascent to the Higher Worlds are revealed Om is the Eternal Sound Supreme. Of that all other sounds are born. Sage Vyasa said:
1. Having heard His Word of Truth, the sages worshipped the Lord with sacred mantras and chants and their prayers filled the Skies. The Three Worlds stood still and all was bright as if swathed in a shroud of shimmering mist.
2. A vast expanse of water covered the Earth and reflected the Sky so that one could tell not which was above and which below. For, the two were as if one. 3. But after a time the sages perceived a small light that was as if concealed between the Earth and Sky and shined at first dark, then bright blue, silver and white.
4. They followed that shining light and nearing it they found a secret passage whereby they entered the World that lay beyond.
5. Near the entrance were two great Trees and far afield a Lake with clear water. Further still, to the North of the Lake, there stood a Mountain. From the Tree to the left of the entrance a path went sunwise round about and up the Mountain.
6. Between the Mountain and the Lake there was a brightness like that of the Rising Sun. A beam sprung from that brightness and shot up into the Sky. It then grew into a great Pillar of Light that extended from Heaven to Earth and illumined the whole World.
7. A Voice that came out of that Light made itself heard and spoke: I Am the Light of all lights. I Am That save Which nothing exists. I Abide in the heart of all creatures and they together abide in Me.
8. I Am Shiva, the Stillness (Shi) Whereof all Movement (Va) is born. As Water, Fire and the Sun at once move and are still, so I, the Great Life both Move and Stand Still.
9. I Move in the Form of the Radiant Gods and myriads of living things; I Rest as My Infinite, Only-Existing Self. He who knows this, knows That Which Is True. I Am the Highest Truth and Yoga is the Path that leads to Me.
10. Having thus spoken, the Voice fell silent. Out of the Pillar of Light a great Ring of Fire came forth and encircled the World. In the midst of that Fiery Circle the Lord Himself was seen dancing the Cosmic Dance.
11. Verily, the Great Lord graciously proceeded to demonstrate His Supreme Divine Nature by means of a Celestial Dance.
12. With their own eyes, the Yogis beheld the Master, the greatest Treasure-House of Splendour, the Sovereign Lord, ecstatically swaying and whirling in the clear Firmament like a Great Wheel of Flaming Fire.
13. They saw the Lord of all living beings swaying to the beat of His Infinite Heart. The Lord Who is known only to those who are Self-possessed knowers of Yogic Truth.
14. Assuredly, indeed, the Sovereign Lord of the Universe (Vishva-Natha) Who, having created the World through His Magic, impels it into action, was seen enacting His Dramatic Dance of Life by the noble Sages.
15. They saw the Lord of Creatures (Pashu-Pati) dancing, the Lord the memory of Whose Lotus-like Feet suffices to drive away all fears born of delusion.
16. Shiva, the Great Yogi (Maha Yogi), was seen in His Divine Brilliance as only those who have conquered sleep and controlled their breath, who are calm and full of devotion, can see. 17. In the Firmament, they saw the Great Fiery One, the Liberator, the Delighted Lord, Who is gracious to His devotees and instantly liberates them from ignorance.
18. They saw the Lord’s thousand heads, thousand feet, thousand arms and thousand shapes, His matted hair embellished by the Crescent Moon as diadem.
19. The Lord was wearing a tiger skin, holding in His mighty hands a blazing trident and a drum, and having the Sun, Moon and Fire as three eyes.
20. His Divine Brilliance had enveloped the whole of the Cosmos; shining like ten million Suns, He stood there, terrible and invincible in His appearance.
21. They saw the Lord, the Creator of the Universe, dancing His Cosmic Dance while emitting World-Creating and World-Consuming flames of fire.
22. They had a vision of the Greatest God (Maha Deva), the true Embodiment of the Supreme Eternal Mystery, the Deity of Celestial Beings, Master of all Souls, the Supreme Ruler (Parameshvara), the imperishable Bliss and Light.
23. They saw the Wielder of the Bow of Heaven, the Large-Eyed Lord, the Antidote to the Sorrows of Worldly Existence, the Soul of Time, the God of Gods, the Slayer of Limited Time.
24. They saw the Lord of Goddess Amma, the Great Deity Whose large eyes radiate Yogic Bliss, Who is the Abode of Knowledge and Detachment, the Eternal Lord of the Yogic Wisdom Path.
25. The Sages who were well-versed in the Holy Scriptures, saw the Lord of eternal Prosperity and Glory; the Lord Who is difficult to approach yet is the support of Spiritual life; Who is honoured by the Gods and worshipped by innumerable great Sages; Who lives in the heart of Yogis capable of instantly becoming One with God; Who envelops Himself in Yogic Magic and then illumines the path of Seekers after Truth; Who is the source and origin of the Universe; Who is the Highest God and ever free from all sorrows.
26. The Firmament Itself was split asunder as if a Great Veil had been removed from the Sky and they could look deep into the heart of the All. And they saw the All dancing to the beat of the Heart of the Lord. The All was dancing the Dance of Life at the Sheer Pleasure of the Lord, the Great Life.
27. Having seen that Lordly Form in which the identity of God’s Transcendental and Immanent aspects became evident, the Sages who were teachers of Spiritual Knowledge felt that they had attained to the highest goal in their life.
28. Thus the congregation of great Sages, beholding the Fiery God of Consciousness and Master of the Universe, meditated upon Him Who was enshrined in their hearts.
29. They bowed down again and again, with folded hands. Uttering the sacred Sound OM, they saw the Lord abiding in the cave of their hearts and with minds overflowing with joy they praised Him with the most beautiful songs.
30. We bow down to You, Who Alone are the Highest Ruler, the Original Soul (Adi-Atman), the Lord of Life, the Fiery One of infinite Yogic Power, You Who live in all hearts, Who are All- Wise, Holy and One with the Supreme. (Holy, i.e., whole, complete, perfect.) 42 SHIVA RAHASYA
31. Having meditated in their heart on You, the Perfectly Immovable Wise One Who are Greater than the greatest, the Sages of tranquil mind and perfect self-control perceive You, the Pure, Sun-like God Who Created the World.
32. The Universal Energy, the Mother of the Universe, is born of You; though small like an atom, You pervade and experience everything. Smaller than the smallest atom, Greater than the greatest being, the wise ones declare that You Alone are All. Indeed, You Alone Exist!
33. Creation, Maintenance, Dissolution, Obscuration and Liberation: These are Your Five Powers Divine whereby You bring the Universe into being out of Yourself and cause it to revolve like a Mighty Wheel of Flames. Unity is the Power whereby You hold the All together like the rim upon a wheel. You Yourself are the All-Supporting Hub in the midst of all.
34. Of You are the Scriptures born and in You they have their ultimate support. You are the Cause of all: You, Who are in our hearts, are the Director of the Cosmic Drama. Everything moves according to Your Supreme Command, You Who are the Original Soul and Innermost Self of all.
35. You are the Master of the Cosmic Magic and the Only Lord of all the Worlds. We bow down to You and seek refuge in You Who are the very Soul of Yoga, of Universal Unity, You Who Dance the Divine Dance.
36. Perceiving You Who Dance in the midst of the Highest Heaven, we eternally remember your Glory. Ever relishing the Unique Bliss of Supreme Reality, You Who live in the Soul of all, permeate all corners of the Universe. Everything revolves round You, yet though everything else moves, You are Ever- Still.
37. The sacred Sound OM, the Seed of Liberation, is Your resonant symbol. Imperishable though You are, You lie concealed in the Primordial Nature. Such as You are, the wise ones here declare that You Alone, the Self-Luminous One of Divine Powers are Truth.
38. The Holy Scriptures perpetually sing Your praises. The Sages whose sins have been extinguished, bow down before You. Ascetics immersed in the Supreme, with tranquil Souls, full of Truth, merge into You, the Most Excellent One.
39. You, Who are beginningless and Whose Form is the Universe, destroy the Earth at the end of Time. You also are the Highest Creator and Most Excellent Preserver. Those who enter You, the Self-Luminous One, who have attained stability and are for ever free, experience the bliss of their Inner Self.
40. Although You are the All-Consuming Fiery God of Consciousness, You create and protect the entire Universe with all its forms. All these visible Worlds turn to You as their Ultimate Goal and Abode. Right Knowledge sets a man’s mind right even as the arrow-maker makes the arrow straight. But of all Knowledge that of Supreme Shiva is best. We therefore make obeisance to and seek refuge in none other but You.
41. Verily, Spiritual Knowledge is like to the Tree of Heaven: It has many branches, it is infinite, and it is One: It reveals You Alone Who are of Single Form. By means of Your Supreme Knowledge Divine those saintly ones who take refuge in You and who are eternally worthy of praise, cross the ocean of Cosmic Illusion in this very lifetime.
42. They call You the Only Wise One, the Supreme Saviour praised by the Scriptures, God, Fire and Lord; they call You the Eternal Fiery One, the Divine Breeze that stirs the Sky of Consciousness into Creating, the Fashioner of all created things, the life-bestowing Sun God Of Many Forms.
43. You are the Supreme Ever-Existing One That ought to be known in their heart by all. You are the Ultimate Receptacle of this Universe. You are the Changeless One Who Protects the Eternal Law of Life. You are the Most Excellent Being, the Infinitely Good One.
44. You Alone are the All-Pervading God of Preservation, the Four-Faced Deity of Creation and the Divine Fire of Annihilation. In truth, You are the Master of everything that is. As Primordial Nature, You are the Material Basis of all. You again, as Supreme Master, are the Lord of All.
45. The wise ones declare that You are the Original Soul, the One Without A Second, shining like the Midnight Sun beyond the mists of ignorance. They call You, Consciousness Itself, the Unmanifest, of Limitless Form, the Void, the Firmament, the Supreme beyond the Material World and its attributes.
46. Your Form is inconceivable. It is beyond the reach of thought and speech. Within It, all these Worlds appear as in a Great Dream. Yet, O wonder! It abides ever unchanging, stainless and unique. You Alone shine within Yourself as all things.
47. Seeking shelter with You, we make obeisance to You, the Merciful Lord of Yoga, the Greatest One, the All-Powerful, Origin and Goal of all, Ancient One Incarnated as the Creator God. O Mighty One! Lord of all Creatures! be gracious unto us.
48. Enchanted by the Ever-Revolving Wheel of Existence, all beings are bedazzled and perplexed. Yet the memory of Your Lotus-like Feet burns up the seed of worldly life and renders it powerless like parched grain. You are the Cause of the Great Fever of Existence and its Only Antidote. This being so, with controlled body and concentrated mind, we meditate upon You, the Highest and Only Lord, the Boundless Ocean of Effulgent Bliss. Verily, equal to Yourself are the wise ones who know the Secret of Your Mighty Wheel!
49. Obeisance to the Great Source, Who originated the Three Worlds; to the God of Time, to You, Who Destroy Ignorance with Your Arrows of Light. Obeisance to You, the Fiery One with matted hair. Obeisance to Shiva, the Great Lord!
50. This having been said, the Bull-Bannered Lord with matted locks joyfully withdrew His Cosmic Form into Himself and resumed His former appearance, seated peacefully upon the summit of the Mountain at the root of the Tree of Life.
51. On seeing the Origin of All, the Lord of everything past, present and future, present before them as if nothing had occurred, the Sages were filled with wonder and bowed down before Him. Then, raising their brows that bore the mark of salutation, they uttered these words.
52. O Eternal Lord! O Master of Past, Present and Future! O God Whose emblem is the Mighty Bull! the Vision of Your Divine Person fills us with infinite joy.
53. Through the power of Your Grace, there is born in our heart an unswerving devotion to You, the Supreme Master, the Stainless One.
54. O Lord of Peace! we have bathed in the Nectar of Your Sacred Words and have fed upon the Light of Your Vision Sublime. Our eyes have become open. Our hearts have been lifted up. Our bodies have been rendered free from sin and perfect. Our Souls are mighty and wise. Yet we crave to know more.
55. O Enlightener of the unenlightened! do grant us the delight of learning about Your Supreme Glory Divine, O Highest One!
56. Hearing their words the Lord, Who Bestows all kinds of wondrous powers upon Yogis who are adepts of Unity with Him, gazed with great compassion upon them and rising from His royal seat, led them deep into the Mountain through a cleft that lay hidden in the wall of rock.
57. Going by a secret path, they came to a Great Vault that arched overhead like the Sky wherein they were befittingly received and saluted by the Assembly of Holy Immortals and the Lord Himself showed them the Wonders of the Higher Worlds.
58. First He showed them the World of the Planets, the Earth, Moon, Sun and countless myriads of Stars, where mortal men live their daily lives. Next they were taken by the Lord up to the Astral World where disembodied Souls go in their dreams; whereto they go when this life comes to an end; and where they abide before they are reborn on Earth. In that World also there lived the First Woman and Man before they descended into the earthly World and there too the Souls meet their departed forefathers. It is therefore also known as the Ancestors’ World (Pitar Loka) to the wise.
59. Thence the Sages proceeded to the World of Sleep (Nidra Loka) which is the Dark Void whereto Souls go when in their deepest rest; where they abide before descending to the Lower Worlds (Astral- and Earth- World); and through which they pass when by the Grace of Shiva (Shiva Prasada) they go up to the Higher Worlds. Having thus left behind the World of Sleeping Souls, they ascended to the Threefold World of Power where the Awakened Ones by the Command of Shiva work many a righteous deed: Souls who have attained the Plane of Pure Vision, work by the Divine Power of Action; those who have attained the Plane of Higher Vision work by the Divine Power of Knowledge; and those who have attained the Plane of Perfect Vision work by the Divine Power of Will. Thus they all carry out Shiva’s Will, each according to his Spiritual Attainment.
60. Last, the Sages entered the Highest World of all: the Infinite, Ever-Existing World of Supreme Intelligence and Bliss which is the True Abode of Shiva, wherein Souls ever abide in Eternal Unity with Him. Having graciously granted them a Vision of the Seven Worlds, the Lord made the Sign of Ultimate Reality and spoke: O you who are endowed with Wisdom! all the Worlds and their great wonders you have just beheld have their existence within Me. They arise, endure and subside like unto waves within Me, the Great Only-Existing Ocean of Life. They who know this, know the Highest Truth.
THE FIFTH LIGHT (Chapter Five) 5
Wherein the Greatness of Shiva’s Divine Power is taught Om is the Eternal Sound Supreme. Of that all other sounds are born. Lord Shiva said:
1. O noble ones! know that this World is like a Dream within a Dream. And many are those who are led astray by the delusions of this World. But he who is a master of the Dream becomes a master of the World. A King was once strolling through the palace gardens on a sunny and delightful day. Having walked for a while he wished to rest in the shade of a tree. As he sat listening to the song of birds, and enjoyed the pleasant colours and fragrance of various flowers, vines and shrubs, he was overcome by sleep.
2. In his sleep he dreamed that he was a beggar and forgot that he was the King. He wandered from land to land begging for his food, clad in rags and barefoot. Thus he passed a long time until one day a Yogi came to him in his dream. The Yogi taught him the Perfect Knowledge of the Self. Impelled by that Knowledge the King remembered his true self and awoke.
3. The un-Awakened Soul, O great Sages! is like unto that King, dreaming the dream of limited life. Thinking himself to be a mortal body and being immersed in the material World, the Sleeping Soul is unaware of his Self. But his other half, the Waking Soul, is ever aware of his Self and wide awake.
4. Mortal men identify themselves with the Sleeping Soul and therefore are as if asleep. But the Yogi who is one with the Waking Soul, is ever watchful even when he seems asleep. Whilst his body rests on Earth, he goes to the Lofty Stars where he feeds to his heart’s content upon the Milky Radiance of Heaven. Having fed upon that Splendid Light he becomes full of the Power of God whereby he rises higher and higher until he finds That than Which there is nothing higher: the Supreme Abode of Truth.
5. The Sleeping Soul is like the Moon and the Waking Soul like the Sun. The Moon which is the left eye shines by Night, far off from the Sun; and when the Sun, the right eye, rises, the Moon is gone. But when the Fire of Knowledge which is the Third Eye of Wisdom burns away both night and day, then Sun and Moon become one and are seen by no one. When neither Moon nor Sun are seen then the eye is not two-sided but one. By means of that Single Sight he who is one sees the True Man in the Sky. He, verily, beholds Truth as It Is.
6. Knowledge is the Light whereby Truth reveals Itself. Without Knowledge there is no Truth and no Life. For those that are devoid of Knowledge are as if asleep. And who can tell a sleeping man from a lifeless stone? But he who sleeps not, is ever awake. He is an Awakened and Wise One (Buddha).
7. Verily, the Soul sleeps in stones, dreams in beasts and plants, and is awake in man. But he who is a knower of Truth is the true Waking One. He who has Knowledge has both Power and Wisdom and is a Mighty One. He is a Great Light that ever dwells amongst the Stars.
8. Earth is the abode of those who are asleep; the Moon is the abode of those who dream; and the Sun is the abode of the Awakened Ones. But the Abode of Shiva is the Highest of all for therein Abides He Who Is Ever One. They who walk the Path of Earth stay asleep and at the end of their life go down into Earth; those who walk the Lower Path of the Moon go to the forefathers; those who walk the Higher Path of the Sun go to the Radiant Ones. But they who choose the Highest Path of Light, they come to Me, the One Supreme Sky of Reality.
9. The Yogi who has mastered his dreams is a Ruler of the World. Though born upon Earth, he goes up to the Moon by the Power of his thought; he then traverses the Night Sky and goes to the Threefold Sun; and further still he rises up into the Great Sky (of Universal Consciousness). Thus he attains to the All-Encompassing One. Having attained Thereto, he abides in Everlasting Peace.
10. Earth, O Sages! is the World of Men (Manu Loka). It is that which is seen by the human eye. Therein live the dwellers upon Earth and the inhabitants of other Planets. It is ruled by the Lord of Men (Manu Raja) who resides in the Great City of Worldly Bliss (Lokananda Puri). Moon is the Supernatural World. It is the Astral World (Tara Loka) which is seen by the Yogi’s second sight. It is the Otherland (Para-Desh) and the World Beyond this (Para Loka). It is called Astral because it is ever bright as if pervaded by Starlight. Therein abide the Souls who have departed from this World until they are reborn on Earth. It is ruled by the Lord of Souls (Tara Natha). He is the Lord of Peace (Shankara) who resides in the City of Disembodied Bliss (Akayananda Puri).
11. Night Sky is the World of Sleep (Nidra Loka). It is thus called because it is dark like as the Night Sky that lies beyond the Stars. Therein Souls rest at night and before they go up into the Light. Its Ruler is the Lord of Infinite Sleep (Ananteshvara) who resides in the City of Empty Bliss (Shunyananda Puri). Threefold Sun is the Great Beyond (Maha Para Loka) made up of the Three Worlds of Light inhabited by the Radiant Ones, the Luminous Lords of Power who shine bright like the Sun. The Three Worlds are: the World of Pure Vision wherein abide the Radiant Ones who work good deeds (satkarma) for the welfare of the Worlds. It is ruled by the Lord of Purity who resides in the City of the Bliss of Righteous Action (Kryananda Puri). Higher than this is the World of Higher Vision wherein abide the Radiant Ones who think good thoughts for the welfare of the Worlds. It is ruled by the Lord of Wisdom (Vidyeshvara) who resides in the City of the Bliss of Righteous Knowledge (Vijnanananda Puri). Higher still is the World of Perfect Vision inhabited by the Radiant Ones who generate good intentions for the welfare of the Worlds. It is ruled by the Lord of Will-Power (Ishvara) who resides in the City of the Bliss of Righteous Will (Svacchandananda Puri). These Three taken together form the Great World of Power.
12. Sky is the World of Truth (Satya Loka), thus called because it is boundless like the Sky and because therein dwells the Great Truth, the Great Life, the Great Power and the Great Light: Supreme Lord Shiva Himself and those who are One with Him. He resides in the City of All- Encompassing Intelligence and Bliss (Chidananda Puri). These, O you who are knowers of the Great Secret! are the Seven Worlds with their Seven Capital Cities which are Greatest amongst Centres of Power (Bala-Chakras).
13. In the midst of each of the Seven Cities there is a Radiant Temple of Truth wherein lies a secret chamber. A great Stream of Living Light that runs from Earth to the Highest Heaven joins the Seven Temples (Sapta Devalaya) to each other like pearls upon a string. The Yogi who enters the inner chamber of his heart and rises up by that upward-going Stream of Light enters the Seven Temples of Truth and obtains the secrets that lie hidden therein. By the power of that Secret Knowledge he becomes a Universal Monarch and Supreme Master Equal to Myself. For I am the One in Whom all the Worlds abide and nothing exists apart from Me. He who by means of Yoga awakens to My Highest Truth is Ever One with Me.
14. O foremost amongst devotees! hear you My Word of Truth. I Alone am the Creator of the Universe, I Alone am the Protector of all Souls and I Alone am the Annihilator of all the Worlds. I am the Ever Living Universal Self. Though everything exists within Me, I am seen by no one. For I am the Greatest God, the Inner Ruler stationed in the heart of all. I am known only to those who seek the Truth in their heart.
15. The Wonderful Cosmic Form along with the Seven Worlds – Which has been witnessed by you – is My Own Projection. Verily, O noble ones! My Wondrous Might has been clearly demonstrated by Me.
16. Stationed in the heart of all beings, I animate the Entire Universe by My Power of Action according to My Infinite Wisdom.
17. The Whole World moves through my Own Power and follows My Will. As Lord of Time, I govern the Universe made of elements.
18. O you of clear vision! by one aspect of Mine, I Create the Universe and by another I Annihilate it, while at the same time My Permanent Aspect remains eternally the same.
19. Although I have no beginning, middle or end, I am the Activator of the Cosmic Play of Magic whereby, at the beginning of Creation, I cause the interaction of Matter and Spirit.
20. Through the union of these two, the Universe is born beginning with the Cosmic Intellect and the rest, whereby My Splendour and Glory become manifest. Out of My Own Immeasurable Light I fashioned all this: a most Glorious Sight!
21. The Primordial Golden Seed of Life, the Divine Sun of Consciousness who is the witness of all Worlds and who sets the wheel of Time in motion, is My First Manifestation. 50 SHIVA RAHASYA
22. Through the Power of Time, I the Ever-Living, the Immeasurable, the Undivided One, Appeared to My Self as the Perishable, Measured and Divided Many like to a myriad rays flowing from the one Sun.
23. As a Reflection of My Unmanifest Glory Divine, I created Heaven where all is ever One: the World of the Mighty Gods which is the Abode of the Deathless Lords of Light. Dividing Myself twofold, I Created the first Couple Divine, the Lord (Ishvara) and Lady (Ishvari) of the Lower Sky, and gave them dominion over all things that are born and die.
24. As a mirror of Heaven I Created the Lower Worlds including Earth. I Created the Sun, Moon and the distant Stars. I Created rocks, plants, fish, animals, birds and the race of Man. I, the Lord, Created human beings beginning with the First Woman and Man, Manu the Wise and Adorable Manavi of Many Charms.
25. I made them of two kinds that they might know separation when they are apart and unity when they are of one heart. Thus they are both two and one. Having created man kind, I commanded the Radiant Gods who are Manifestations of My Own Light to instruct all men in the secrets of Spirit, each and every one according to the power of his own mind.
26. O noble ones! from the Gods down to a blade of grass, this World I Created for the benefit of Man, who, like the Sky reflected in a Lake, is an image of My Own Self. Verily, the World itself is nothing but the visible countenance of My Invisible Self.
27. I, the Self-Born (Svayambhu), Self-Existent (Niradhara), Self-Manifest (Sva-Prakasha), All- Wise God, the Creator of all the Worlds, bring forth the Universe through My Power of Creation and according to My Divine Will.
28. I, the Infinite One, the Immutable Source of all Worlds, protect the Universe through My Power of Preservation.
29. I, the Fiery One, Whose Essence is the Dissolution of all temporary forms into the Great Eternity, Annihilate the Universe at the end of Time.
30. It is due to My Own Divine Power that Fire carries oblations to the Gods, food and other offerings to the Ancestors, as well as performing the functions of cooking, heating and the rest.
31. Through My Own Power, the fire of digestion consumes the food eaten by day or by night.
32. Through My Own Power, Water gives life to all things that live.
33. Through My Own Power, Wind sustains all those that breathe.
34. Through My Own Power, the Moon gives her soothing light to men by night.
35. Through My Own Power, the Sun illumines the World of men by day and brings them welcome rain.
36. Through My Own Power, men are born and die. Through My Own Power, they live according to each one’s merits and demerits.
37. Through My Own Power, some laugh and others cry.
38. Through My Own Power, Savitri, the Great Prayer to the Sun illumines the heart of men and redeems them from sin.
39. Through My Own Power, Parvati, the Great Goddess who is ever devoted to Me, awakens Spiritual Love in those who meditate upon Her. Verily, she inspires all Souls with her boundless Love of Me.
40. Through My Own Power, the Infinite, Serpent-like Ananta rules over the Immortal Beings.
41. Through My Own Power, the Fire-like Samvarta maintains the fires that burn underground and causes them to flare up in an all-engulfing blaze at the end of the World. 42. Through My Own Power, the Fourteen Mighty Ancestors protect those who pray to them.
43. Through My Own Power, all the Celestial Beings are appointed to perform their various functions.
44. Through My Own Power, all the divisions of Time from Universal Ages down to the briefest of time-units, arise and pass away.
45. Through My Own Power, all four categories of beings live their lives in their respective States of Consciousness.
46. Through My Own Power, all the Worlds, Lower, Middle and Higher function according to their respective laws as Commanded by Me.
47. All the different Universes of past, present and future times exist for the fulfilment of My Divine Will.
48. The Material Energy and its products, Higher Mind (or Intellect), Ego and Lower Mind, the Five Basic Elements of Nature, Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Ether, and the human body too, operate as per My Command.
49. What gives the body solidity such as in bones, flesh, skin, arteries and hair, that is of the Earth. What gives the body fluidity such as in saliva, urine, blood, semen and sweat, that is of the Water. What gives the body burning power such as in hunger, thirst, digestive power, energy and heat, that is of the Fire. What gives the body wind-like strength such as in breathing, moving, growing, shrinking, and excreting, that is of the air. And what gives the body an aura of greatness, vibrancy, beauty, radiance and loveliness, that is of the Ether, for Ether is like unto the radiant Sky and the essence of all goodness in things physical.
50. All these Life-Principles constituting one’s body, mind, inner and outer life, are held together by My Unitive Power of Yoga (Yoga Bala).
51. The World from The Universe itself down to the smallest atom is held together by My Power of Unity.
52. As the Infinite Universe, even so the individual Soul exists by the selfsame Power. He in whom, by My Grace, the Power of Yoga is strong, his life is held together and set in good order. But he in whom it is feeble, his life is not in order and it comes asunder.
53. Verily, Yoga is living in Unity with Truth. He who lives in Unity with Truth can accomplish everything. Therefore, Yoga is the Power whereby one attains the Four Goals of Life: Righteousness (Dharma), Material Prosperity (Artha), Love (Kama, literally one’s heart’s desires) and Spiritual Liberation (Moksha).
54. It is by the Power of Yoga, which is Unity with the Divine, that Divine Righteousness is established in man’s heart. It is by the Power of Yoga that man’s material life is kept in order. It is by the Power of Yoga that man is united with the object of his heart’s desire. It is by the Power of Yoga, too, that man is united with Me. Thus, Yoga or Unity (Samyoga), which is My Own Divine Power, is the essence of all life.
55. The human Soul, who enjoys the lower Life-Principles and is regarded as the chief among them, takes birth, lives and dies at My Command. By the Power of Yoga, he attains Immortality.
56. The Power of Cosmic Magic, the true Material Cause of the entire Universe, which enchants and fascinates all embodied Souls, forever assumes new shapes according to My Wish. By the Power of Yoga, the enchanted Soul awakens to Life Eternal.
57. Even the Spiritual Intelligence, whereby Enlightened Souls, having overcome all mental delusions enjoy a vision of the Higher Worlds, abides by My Will, I Who am the Greatest God and Lord of the Yogic Power of Enlightenment.
58. O saintly ones! of what avail are words? The entire Universe consists of My Divine Powers and nothing else. Through My Power of Yoga, I Create, Maintain and Destroy the Universe for My Own Delight. It is born of Me and into Me it merges again at the end of Time.
59. I am the Lord God, the Eternal, Self-Luminous One. I am the Highest Self, the Supreme Reality. I, the Lord of Yoga, Alone Exist and Yoga is the Path that leads to Me.
60. Thus, immortal ones, I have declared unto you this Supreme Knowledge of Yoga, whereby a living being is liberated from the bondage of limited life (Samsara) and is United with Me, the Great God and Lord of Immeasurable Life. Verily, Yoga and Unity (Samyoga) are one and the same.
THE SIXTH LIGHT (Chapter Six) Wherein the Mystery of the Supreme Lord ‘s Wondrous Power (Maya) is revealed Om is the Eternal Sound Supreme. Of that all other sounds are born. Lord Shiva said: 1. O Sages! listen you now to God’s Great Work of Magic, by knowing which, man is sure to become a Deathless One.
2. All unenlightened Souls in this World are known to be Bound Creatures (Pashus). I am worshipped as their Lord (Pashu-Pati).
3. For My Own Pleasure, I the Lord, bind these Souls by means of My Cosmic Magic. For My Own Pleasure, I also set them free.
4. I, the World Soul, the Eternal Overlord of living things, am the sole Liberator of those who are bound by Maya (God’s Magic Power). Knowers of Spirit, therefore, know Me as the Liberator of the World. Hear you My Supreme Knowledge!
5. Though Truth Is Ever One, of Its Own Free Will It manifests Itself as many. Thus out of the One Supreme Self, Knower, Knowledge and Known Object are born. Though appearing to be different, the three are but One. For, the Known Object is the product of Knowledge; and Knowledge is the activity of the Knowing Self.
6. The object is made of the Five Material Qualities (Bhuta-Gunas) which are well-known to the Wise. They are Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Space. They are born of the Mind in this way. That activity of the Mind that gives rise to the experience of an emptiness that spreads out in all directions like the Sky and wherein other things may be seen to exist, is the Quality of Space (literally, Sky, Akash-Guna). That which gives rise to the experience of nearness or distance, location in space and movement, is the Quality of Air (Vayu-Guna). That which gives rise to the experience of form, shape and size, is the Quality of Fire (Agni-Guna). That which gives rise to the experience of softness, moisture and fluidity, is the quality of Water (Apas-Guna). And that which gives rise to the experience of solidity, stability and firmness, is the Quality of Earth (Dhara-Guna).
7. All objects of the senses are known by these Five Qualities. When an object such as a Water- Jar is perceived, it is seen to spread out and fill up a portion of space as well as being surrounded by emptiness and being itself empty, either partly or fully, inside. Thus the Mind-created Quality of Sky (or Space) is plainly seen in the perception of Jar. The Quality of Air is manifest in the Jar’s nearness or distance in relation to other objects and to the perceiver himself. The Quality of Fire is likewise clearly perceived in the Jar’s form, shape and size. The Quality of Water is perceived as being absent in the Jar itself but present in the water contained therein. And the Quality of Earth is perceived in the Jar’s stability and firmness that make it an earthlike experience, as it were.
8. Thus it is established that an object consists of the Five Material Qualities I have described. If they ask you, My Lord, is a Jar not made of clay? Say to the doubter: Verily, what is true of the Jar that also is true of clay. For, the physical things called, Earth, Water and the rest that make up clay are themselves the product of the Five Qualities. And these are made of Mind as explained before. All material objects are made of the Mind-created Qualities. There shall be no doubt about this.
9. Listen you now how the Material Qualities are born of the Five Primary Perceptions (Tanmatra-Gunas). These are: Scent, Flavour, Colour, Touch and Sound. Without these, no Material Qualities would be perceived. When the Mind emits a sound vibration in the Sky of Consciousness, it spreads out in all directions, producing the perception of a wide expanse like that of Sky (or Space). Thus, from variations in Sound there arises the Quality of Sky. When the Mind creates changes in the feeling of Touch, there arises the experience of movement like that of Air. When the Mind produces changes in a Colour, it beholds various forms, shapes and sizes like the flickering flames of Fire. When the Mind tastes various Flavours it perceives moisture and fluidity as in Water. And when it smells various Scents, as a result of their lingering on, there arises within the Mind a feeling of permanence, stability and firmness like that of Earth.
10. Thus it is established that the Five Material Qualities are the product of the Five Primary Perceptions: Sound produces the Quality of Sky; Touch produces Air; Colour produces Fire; Taste produces Water; and Scent produces Earth. A material object is a combination of these five.
11. The Five Primary Perceptions in turn are made of the Mind’s Five Powers of Perception which are: Smelling, Tasting, Seeing, Feeling by Touch and Hearing. The Power of Hearing produces Sound. For, when the Mind wishes to hear there arises within it the sensation of Sound. Thus the Power of Hearing produces Sound. Feeling produces Touch. Seeing produces Colour.Tasting produces Flavour. And Smelling produces Scent. Thus it is established that the Mind’s Powers of Perception bring forth the Five Primary Perceptions and these bring forth the Material Qualities that make up the objects of the World.
12. Now, the Soul acts upon the object by means of his Five Powers of Action which are: Speaking, Grasping, Moving, Discarding and Procreating. When the embodied Soul hears a Sound, he wishes to give answer and emits a Sound. Thus Speech (Vak) is born. When the Soul senses a Touch he wishes to grasp that which has touched him. Thus Grasping (Hasta) is born. When the Soul perceives a Vision of a thing, he wishes to move nearer or further in relation thereto. Thus Moving About (Pada) is born. When the Soul has tasted, eaten and digested some food, he wishes to discard the same from his body. Thus Discarding (Paya) is born. When the Soul senses the Sweet Fragrance of a person of the opposite gender he is overcome by a desire to produce offspring. Thus Procreating (Upastha) is born.
13. O noble ones! of the Soul’s desire to know, the Powers of Perception are born; of these are born the Primary Perceptions; of Perceptions, the Material Qualities; and of Qualities, the object. Likewise, when the Soul desires to act the Powers of Action are born. Thus a Soul’s Powers of Knowledge and Action are born of the Soul’s Power of Will. 14. Verily, everything is born of will. As the Soul, so the Lord too, has a Will. Only whereas the Lord Wills out of Plenty, the Soul wills out of lack thereof: Whilst the Lord creates the World, the Soul creates limited things.
15. It is only when the Soul is impelled by the Lord’s Will, that he desires to accomplish great things. Therefore a man of Spirit is known by his will. A great man is ever desirous to know things of the Soul. Whilst the others follow their craving for material things, he seeks for a Higher Truth.
16. O you who are most wise! know that Knowledge is of three kinds: Lowly, Middling and High. The lowly is that knowledge acquired from others. It is called Tradition (Agama) or Hearsay (Shabda). The middling is knowledge acquired by oneself through reason. Hence, it is called Reason (Anumana). And the highest is knowledge acquired neither from others nor indirectly through reason but in direct experience. Hence it is called Direct Experience (Anubhava).
17. As the Knowledge, so men too are of three kinds: the lowly who never reason but live their life by Tradition or Hearsay; the middling who make use of their Reason; and the highest who wish to know for themselves.
18. When, impelled by the Lord’s Will a Soul wishes to know the Truth, he is instructed into Truth. By the Power of that Truth he lifts himself up to Higher Planes like a bird soaring in the Sky. Having attained to Higher Worlds he becomes Awakened and Wise. Therefore, hear you My Word of Truth that you may attain the Highest!
19. The Awakened Soul beholds the Glory of Him Who Is One. But the Sleeping Soul sees only the World which is born of his own Power, like a dream. That Power is called Material Energy (Prakarti). Oblivious to the Joys of Heaven and wishing to experience worldly life, the Sleeping Soul descends into the World of Matter. Therein he abides as if enveloped in a dark shroud. The upper part of the shroud is the Intellect or Higher Mind, called Buddhi; the lower part is the Lower Mind, called Manas.
20. Buddhi is that aspect of Material Energy which has the capacity to reflect Intelligence. It reflects the Soul’s Power of Knowledge and illumines the Lower Mind. The Sleeping Soul abides between the two. Looking upwards he perceives the Light of Knowledge. Looking downwards, he sees the Activities of the Lower Mind. As the Sun abides between Heaven and Earth, so the Soul, having become an Ego (Limited Person) abides between the Higher and the Lower Mind.
21. From the will to live, Knowledge and Action are born. Verily, both Knowledge and Action are born of desire. Desire is the activity of the Mind. And the Mind is that aspect of the Soul which desires. For, when the Soul rests in himself, he is happy, peaceful and still. But when he desires a thing he rests not till he has obtained the object of his will.
22. He impels the Lower Mind to seek out sensations and the Mind abides by the Soul’s will. Like an obedient servant, the Lower Mind sends out the Senses into the Soul’s Field of Perception and returns forthwith with a great array of objects fashioned by it from the aforementioned Qualities. Thus the unawakened Soul lives his life in a World of Qualities which are mere shadows of the Heavenly Glory and his Original Home.
23. Thoughts, Feelings, Senses and the Qualities that make up the objects of the World, arise out of the Soul’s own Subconscious Energy.
24. Each and every Soul is endowed with his own Energy, inseparably attached unto him as his own material aspect and object of experience. The Material World perceived by each Soul is born of that Energy. It consists of Three Constituent Qualities (Maha Gunas).
25. Luminosity, Activity and Darkness, these are the three Primary Qualities of Matter (Maha Gunas). They are the Life-Strands whereby, in countless combinations, I weave the Fabric of the Universe of Conditioned Existence, warp and woof.
26. Being the subtle strands that make up the living Web of Life, these three are seen only by the Wise (Jnanis) who are possessed of Higher Knowledge. The others only see their effects. Listen therefore to their attributes and functions, that they may be known and seen by all.
27. Light (Sattva) is knowledge. Darkness (Tamas) is insentience. Activity (Rajas) is the combination of the two. They are experienced as pleasure, insentience and pain, respectively.
28. When a man has a perception of a person dear to him as being near him, his mind is pleasurably affected. He thinks to himself, Happy indeed am I. This is the Primary Quality called Pleasure.
29. When he is devoid of all perception, as when intoxicated or in deep sleep, his mind is overcome by dark numbness. He thinks nothing at all. This is the Primary Quality called Insentience.
30. But when he perceives himself alone, without the dear one, his mind is tormented with pain. He thinks to himself, Alas, my dear one is gone. Unhappy indeed am I. This is the Primary Quality called Pain.
31. Thus, Pleasure is consciousness of a desired object, Insentience is absence of consciousness and Pain is consciousness combined with the absence of the desired object. They are the constituent elements of all experience in worldly existence.
32. A man bound to worldly existence constantly goes through these three states and their countless combinations. All his experiences are born of these. Verily, there is no way out for one who knows nothing higher.
33. Before the creation of the Material World; when the World is in a state of Dissolution; and in Deep Sleep, the Three Qualities lie undifferentiated in perfect equilibrium and inactive.
34. When in perfect equilibrium, they constitute what is known as Unmanifest Matter (that is, Material Energy in its not-yet-manifested potentiality).
35. At the time of Universal Creation, at birth, and upon waking from deep sleep, I stir them into action and they begin to affect the Soul according to Karma and in conformity with My Cosmic Plan. 36. At the time of entering deep sleep, at death, and in Universal Dissolution, I suspend the interaction of the three and the Soul remains unaffected and inactive.
37. There is no happiness in the World of men without knowledge of the three constituents of life. For, ignorance thereof produces imbalance among the Gunas and leads to suffering. Spiritual Knowledge creates balance among the same and leads to happiness. Therefore, the wise strive to increase both knowledge and happiness.
38. The wise know that what is commonly regarded as Desirable and Undesirable tempts one into the bondage of ordinary Action (Karma).
39. Each thought, word or deed, leaves a latent trace in the Soul, like a seed left in the earth by a plant. In due time, it springs to life affecting one according to its nature, good, indifferent, or bad. 40. As a King who, being forced by a great fire, earthquake, or flood to abandon his Capital City, gathers his subjects round his person before departing thence, so the Soul who is the Spiritual Sovereign of the Material City called Body, descending into the heart, assembles his mental powers round himself, when Death approaches.
41. As the King, followed by his people, departs by the Northern Gate, the Eastern Gate, the Southern Gate, or the Western Gate as the circumstances may require, so the luminous Soul goes out by the crown of the head, eyes, or other bodily parts according to his state of mind. As he leaves, he is followed by his life-breath, intelligence and knowledge of things present and past. They all go with him like a swarm of fireflies or bees.
42. As the King, surrounded by his people, having left the old City behind, gives orders for a new City to be built upon a suitable spot, like a hilltop or riverbank, and according to the knowledge of his priests, architects and masons, so indeed the Soul, the Lord in the midst of life- breath, intelligence and the rest, makes for himself a new body when the time is right and according to his mental powers. Then he re-enters the World.
43. According to the Universal Law which says that man is what he thinks, one’s future life, body and circumstance depend upon one’s last thoughts. Therefore, he who at the time of departing from this World thinks of Me, the Lord, that one shall go to My Supreme Abode. But he who thinks of other, lower things, shall go the downward way. For only two ways exist: one that leads to Me and one that leads away. What applies to thoughts, that applies to speech and physical deeds.
44. Thus, as the fruits enjoyed by a farmer at harvest time are born of the seed planted by him at sowing time, even so one’s present life is born of past actions, whereby one is bound. This bondage is called Karma.
45. Having performed an action with a view to obtaining some object or another, one is bound to the result of one’s action according to the Inexorable Law of Cause and Effect (Karma). But that Action which springs from Knowledge (and not ignorance), which is selfless and is aimed at Me, the Highest Goal, leads to Liberation and not to bondage.
46. Ignorance, Egotism, Passion, Aversion and Attachment shall be known as Bondages (Pashas). They obscure the Soul’s Light of Knowledge and lead him to perform actions that bind him to his painful condition.
47. Maya (Cosmic Illusion) is the sole cause of these Bondages. It is the Divine Power (Shakti) whereby I Create Limited Existence. Through My Power of Maya, I first bring forth the Unmanifested Material Potentiality whereof all material things are born. Through the Power of Maya, I divide Myself into Spirit, the Conscious Soul, and Matter, the unconscious Object.
48. I Alone Am the Eternal Supreme God. I Am at once Matter and Spirit and their products such as the Intellect and the rest, too. I Alone Am the Bondage and the Creator of Bondage; I Who Create both Bondage and the Bound Souls; I Who Know everything but Am known to none. I Am the Primordial and Ever-Living Ancient One.
49. O you who are Tigers amongst men! of My Own Free Will I Envelop Myself in Maya, even as the Sun envelopes himself in Clouds. Like the Sun behind the Clouds I surround Myself with the Veil of Maya and hide Myself from the World.
50. Divested of My Light, the whole World goes to sleep. Having put the Souls to sleep, I the Ever Awake, enchant them all with My Great Dream. Verily, there is no greater Work of Magic than the World wherein all Souls dream.
51. No Soul shall ever rouse from the Great Sleep of Maya save by My Divine Command. But My Word of Truth shall work in those who hear It and they shall stir in their sleep. The chosen ones shall be ready for My Call. And hearing the Sound of Awakening they shall rise from their sleep like deer at the call of a great stag.
52. O you who are the Jewels of the World! he that understands the Twenty-Five Life- Principles from Soul down to Earth, perceives himself as a free and happy Soul. But he who understands the Great Secret of Maya, he is a Knower of all Thirty-Six Principles and is One with the Great God.
53. The Five Material Qualities, Five Primary Perceptions, Five Powers of Knowledge and Five of Action; Lower Mind, Ego, Intelligence, Material Energy and the Soul above these: they are the Twenty-Five. He who knows this is a Wise Soul indeed. But he who knows Maya and what lies beyond, is Three Times Wise. For he knows the Five Fetters, Maya which is their Support, and the Five Powers Divine. Verily, such an one knows the Secret of the Thirty-Six which Is the Greatest Secret of all. There is naught to be known beside the Thirty-Six. He who knows these, knows everything and all.
54. As many birds build their nests in a great Tree, so countless Sleeping Souls weave the dream of their lives in Maya’s Great Abode of Slumber. As cave-dwellers dwell in their caves within a great Mountain, so myriads of Dreaming Souls dwell within the Great Cave of Maya which is the Souls’ own Heart. The Yogi who knows this, meditates upon the Truth within his heart and beholds the Greatest Light.
55. By His infinite Power of Freedom, the Great Power, the Great Light, creates the Great Cave of Maya. Of Maya are born the Five Fetters that tie down the Soul to the Material World.
56. As a Great Star shines from afar through the dark Night Sky, so the Supreme Sun of Consciousness, the Great Light from the Highest Height, passes down through the dark Veil of Maya and becomes a Star-like Soul shining with Five Rays of Light: That Light of Lights Which having enveloped Itself in the Great Veil of Maya, makes a mere mortal of a Deathless Soul, is the Power of Limited Time (Kala). That which binds an All-Pervading Soul and determines the fruits of his deeds is the Power of Limited Efficiency (Niyati). That which makes an All-Wise Soul know only limited things, is the Power of Limited Knowledge (Vidya). That whereby an All-Powerful Soul can accomplish only few things, is the Power of Limited Action (Karma). And that which causes a Perfect Soul to crave for worldly things, is the Power of Attachment (Raga).
57. Thus, having become many, the One Great Light shines in the Cave of Maya like as a myriad of Stars: each sending out its Fivefold Light into the dark.
58. Now, the Soul who meditates in his deepest heart upon the Uppermost Star, rises by its light into the dark Maya Sky and passing through it goes far beyond, to the World of Light wherein he shines like the One Sun Bright; he then goes higher still where he is One with the Great Life, the Infinite All- Supporting Sky. Drinking of the cool waters of the Lake of Remembrance that lies beyond the boundaries of this World, the Soul remembers his Five Powers Divine and attains to the Most High.
59. Verily, he who by means of Yoga knows that I am the Lord of Maya and that he is Identical with Me, he rises above the World and is forever Free.
60. As a serpent casts off his slough, as an elephant draws himself out of the mud, as a sick man (upon recovering) rises from his bed, even so the Yogi shall rise above the World and go to My Supreme Abode. Thus I, the Great Lord, teach and declare.