Adhyaya 1-Time of Birth, Janmanakshatra, Strength of Bhava, Significance of houses.
The great sage Satyacharya taught the principles of astrology to his disciple Manithlha and these principles are contained in this work.
1.Addressing his pupil, Salyacharya said, “Oh my dear disciple! I am going to reveal the principles of Astrology to you. These principles are not known to anybody and are a great secret. By means of these, you can predict the future events accurately”.
2. The science of Astrology is a great secret. It should be guarded with care. It should never be revealed to people who have no faith in God, who are sceptics by nature and to those who do not show reverence to their Guru.
3. This sacred science of Astrology should never be taught to bad people. Nor should it be revealed to too many people and very frequently. It should be taught only to a few chosen disciples who really deserve and have the necessary qualifications. Listen to me with care. Now I shall expound the principles of Astrology according to “Dhruva Matham” i.e. according to the school of Dhruva”.
4. During the course of everyday (24 hours) the twelve ascendants continuously rise and set one after another. The twelve ascendants are Mesha, Vrisha etc. The ascendant at sunrise is naturally the sign in which the Sun is posited. During the course of each lagna millions of creatures are born.
5. There are three different moments which can be taken as the tune of birth and for which the horoscope can be cast. These are(1) Adhana lagna i.e. the moment of conception. (2) Siro-darshma lagna i.e., the moment at which the head of the child is first sighted. (3) Bhupatana 1agnathe moment at which the child leaves the body of the mother and touches the earth. As it is difficult to determine the first two moments accurately, the third one should be taken for preparing the horoscope.
6. The fortunes of a native are to be studied with reference to:
(1) the ascendant lord; (2) the lord of the ascendant in the navamsa diagram (3)
The lord of the birth star; and (4) the lords of the rasis occupied by the above three.
7. Birth-star : Consider the strengths of the Moon and the ascendant. If the ascendant is Stronger than the Moon, the lord of the star in which the ascendant falls, is to be taken as the birth star. If, on the other hand, the Moon is stronger than the ascendant, the lord of the star in which it is posited is to be taken as the birth star. Note Thus, it should be noted that the term, “birth-star” is a technical term and has special meaning in this book.
8. Determination of Birth-star : Two views : 1, Birth star has to be determined by a careful consideration of the strengths of the Moon and the Ascendant, 2 which is the star in which either the Ascendant falls or the Moon is posited at the moment of birth. Whichever is stronger of the two i.e. the Moon and the Ascendant, that should alone be taken into consideration for purpose of determination of the birth-star. This is the view generally accepted and (followed. However, there is another view in this matter. Instead of considering the strengths of the Ascendant and the Moon, we consider the strengths of the Ascendant lord and the Moon. If the ascendant lord is stronger than the Moon, the star in which it is posited at birth should be taken as birth-star. But, if the Moon is Stronger than the Ascendant lord, the star in which it is situated at birth should be reckoned as the birth-star. But this view is generally not followed.
9. Calculate the shadbala of all the planets, (according to the rules given by Sripati). Then judge the horoscope. If all the four determinants, (i.e. the ascendant lord, the navamsa lagna lord, the lord of the birth star and the lords of the rasis occupied by the previous three) the native will be very powerful. If these be of medium strength, the native will be moderately fortunate. If any two of the above determinants are endowed with full strength, the position and status of the native in life will be of middle nature.If only one of the determinants has full strength, he will have just ordinary type of luck. If none of the determinants is strong, the native will be miserable and poor throughout
10. Illustration : Consider the horoscope of a person born in Sagittarius lagna in the star of Uttarashadha and in the Leo navamsa. For this horoscope the first determinant i.e. the ascendant lord is Jupiter. The second determinant i.e. the lord of the Janma rasi (i.e. the sign occupied by the Moon at birth) is the Sun. The third determinant i.e. the lord of the star Uttarashadha is the Sun. The lord of the signs occupied by them also happens to be the Sun. The above horoscope is given by Sage Satyacharya in order to illustrate the principles of determining the birth-star and the other determinants. This horoscope, Satyacharya says, is the horoscope of a male child born under the star of Uttarashadha first quarter .(wr) in the month of Simha.
The ascendant is Dhanu. In the navamsa chart, the ascendant is Leo. So, the first determinant i.e. the lord of the ascendant is Jupiter. The second determinant i.e. the lord of the Navamsa lagna is the Sun. The third determinant is the lord of the birth-star. Satyacharya judges like this. As the Moon is Vargoththama it is stronger than the Ascendant. Hence the birthstar is Uttarashadha in which the Moon was posited at birth. Lord of Uttarashadha being Sun, it is the third determinant To find the fourth determinant, according to the definition, we have to consider the lords of the rasis occupied by the above three. Here, the first three determinants are Jupiter, Sun and Sun. The lord of the rasi in which they are situated is again Sun. Hence the determinants are Jupiter and the sun. In this horoscope, Jupiter is posited in the 9th house (Bhagya Bhava) in conjunction with the Sun who owns the 9th house. Moreover, Jupiter has shubhakartari yoga as it is between Venus and Mercury. Venus being labhadhipati (11′) and Mercury being Rajyadhipati (10′). Therefore, Jupiter is very strong. Now consider the Sun. Sun is in the Bhagya Bhava (9th house), in its own sign (Leo). It is Vargoththama and is in conjunction with Jupiter which is highly auspicious. It is also hemmed between two benefic planetsVenus and Mercury, (the Labhadhipati and Rajyadhipati).
Thus the Sun is also very strong. As Jupiter and the Sun happen to be the determinants for this horoscope and as they have been found to be strong, the native will be blessed with long life, fortunes and prosperity. Satyacharya is of the opinion that the native of this horoscope is a very fortunate person, sure to become an emperor endowed with much wealth and power, [strictly speaking, the comparison of the strengths of the Lagna and the Moon is to be made on the basis of the calculated values of their respective shadbalas. (sixfold strength). Sometimes, as a rough method, the comparison of the strengths of the Lagna and the Moon is to be made on the basis of the calculated values of their respective shadbalas. (sixfold strength). Sometimes, as a rough method, the comparison is made on the basis of swakshetra, exaltation, (Vargoththama positions of the ascendant lord and the Moon).